Monday 7 April 2014

Spring flowers and other signs of Spring

Time to think about real flowers and bees after yesterdays post.  Lots of spring flowers in the garden now. Looks so lovely after the dull brown winter garden.  The primroses always put on a good show and provide nectar for the early bees.  The bees found their first food on my plum tree which I wrote about in an earlier post. That has lost its blossom now but looking forward to lots of plum, I hope.

The primroses spread everywhere, these are on my rock garden but they also grow in my lawn and are so many different colours.  At the top of the photo are blue muscari which are also very proliferative. 

 Lots of different daffodils but don't know the names of the varieties.  This one is a favourite and has several flowers on each stem. 







This double one is lovely but sadly the flower is so heavy it soon falls over and gets eaten by the slugs


Another favourite is the snake head fritillary, no prize for guessing the origin of its name.


This little violet is growing in the gravel path but also have them growing in the front lawn.


 Moving on from the flowers there are other signs of Spring in the garden. Below two different ladybirds out of hibernation, spotted by Stuart.  Seven spot red and two spot black. 



 These buds on this conifer look like masses of ladybirds.


Broken egg shell must mean we have newly hatched birds somewhere nearby. These look like pigeon eggs. Found two shells very close together. 

On the right of this photo is a mass of frog tadpoles just about ready to venture further into the pond to look after themselves now they have finished feeding on the spawn jelly. Not many of them will survive so that is why they produce so many every year. 

Seen several newts in the pond again but they are difficult to photograph.If you look carefully centre bottom you might see it. 


And finally after living in this house for 18 years I saw my first hedgehog.  I was specially watching out for him as I spotted what I suspected were hedgehog dropping on the patio and that night he came along sniffing around under the bird feeders.  Must have recently emerged from hibernation.  Hedgehogs like cat food but the problem is if I put it out for them I will be inviting all the neighbourhood cats too. 


4 comments:

Donna said...

Great journal entry and so much life beginning in your backyard! I would love to see the hedgehog in real life!

Sheila Khan said...

Yes, they are so cute with really lovely faces. Pity they are nocturnal so difficult to take a good photo

Anonymous said...

What would Poppy do if she came nose to nose with a hedgehog? Are they vicious like raccoons? Your garden is so vibrant! Toronto is still waiting for spring to arrive.

Sheila Khan said...

I don't think they are aggressive Lynne. In the presence of danger they curl up into a ball so they are protected by their spines. I had a cat who used to live outdoors so her food was always outside and a hedgehog used to come regularly for a share of it. Not sure Poppy would want to share but I don't think she would like its prickles if she tried to stop it