Tuesday 9 April 2024

 Catering for wildlife in the garden. 

It's time to start thinking about the birds and bees in the garden again.

The insects are easily taken care of with lots of wild flowers which I have in abundance, especially dandelions which are an essential first food for the bees and other insects.  They feed on the nectar and in the case of bees they use it to produce honey.  They also pollinate the flowers so they produce seeds and fruit.  Lots of seeds are food for the birds, and in my garden I have a lot of goldfinches that feed on my birdfeeders but once spring comes they make a beeline for the dandelion seeds. I have so many primroses growing all over the garden, the seeds of which were probably spread by the birds. 




I have had bird nest boxes for many years which give me great pleasure. I like watching the birds building their nest and feeding their young.

I am a bit late this year to empty them ready for this years nesting time.  As usual I had some help from Richard Lloyd Evans https://www.projectnestbox.co.uk/ who make and supplies nest boxes. He supplied me with two new nest boxes suitable for great tits and bluetits. He also emptied some of last years boxes and moved two robin boxes to more suitable positions.   

I though it time to branch out a bit so this year Richard has fitted a bat box for me.  Can't wait to see if the bats find it and like it. 

It is such a stylish home and there's a picture of a bat on it so they will know it's for them. 


I have done enough blogging for today but I will hopefully be back tomorrow to tell you about my bird boxes. 

No comments: