I have posted many times about the wildlife in my garden and providing homes for wildlife. This month I decided to partly demolish my wildlife stack which Stuart and I built a few years ago. I have never been very sure if anything was using it apart from a few slugs, spiders and woodlice.
Stuart helped me to move all the wood to the bottom of the garden where we built a hedgehog house. Stuart painted a sign for it so the hedgehogs will know where to go. This little hedgehog was in the front garden about a month ago, only the second I have seen here.It was not very big so only hope wherever it is it if finding enough food to fatten itself up before it hibernates.
Poppy was hanging around while we were dismantling the stack but did not offer to help.
Fortunately, with the help of a rusty old wheelbarrow, Stuart moved it all for me.
Here is the new Hog House. I have since covered it with a waterproof sheet to keep the inside cosy and dry.
I also have a pile of logs down one side of the garden which makes another potential home for hedgies.
The rest of the wildlife stack was made up of bricks stone and broken plant pots. So we have left that there as a frog house.
It is also covered by a waterproof sheet.
While I was clearing the weed from the pond I found a small newt so hopefully that may find its way into the frog house during the cold weather.
Today when I checked out the frog house I found a small toad. Maybe I should rename the frog house Toad Hall!